Within the past few weeks and months we have seen examples of antisemitism, racism, and other hateful behavior in the national news and on the Columbus campus (more). The Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) is the centralized office established to respond to protected class discrimination, harassment, and sexual misconduct, which includes targeted vandalism, defacement of property, and other potential hate crimes.
Please know, that all Buckeyes should report these incidents to the Office of Institutional Equity. But what else do you need to know and do? See below for a helpful guide on documenting deliberate destruction.
- Assess the scene for safety. Only proceed if you feel safe.
- Call OSUPD or 9-1-1. If the vandalism occurs on campus, appears to be a hate crime and you feel safe doing so, call OSUPD at 614-292-2121. In an emergency dial 9-1-1.
- Take a photo/video of the vandalism to clearly document the content of the vandalism and the location. Make a note of other details (e.g., is this in a residence hall, a locked or public space, is there a specific target?)
- Request removal. Please contact OSUPD or Ohio State Facilities Operations and Development (FOD) to request removal of the vandalism.
- Make a report to OIE. Include the photo/video, location information, names and contact information of individuals who have been impacted by the vandalism, and other relevant details. OIE will assess the reported information for any safety concerns, notify appropriate campus partners and, if not previously done, may call law enforcement. Finally, if possible, OIE may provide supportive measures to impacted parties.
- Take care of yourself and others. Contact OIE and/or review the reporting and resources brochure.
Remember, your safety and wellbeing is Ohio State’s first priority. Living our Shared Values means working together to further our university as a community where everyone is treated with dignity and respect. Let’s all do our part as Buckeyes!