Committed to creating an environment that is equitable, fair, and just
The Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) coordinates Ohio State’s response to complaints of all protected class harassment, discrimination and sexual misconduct affecting students, employees, graduate associates, appointees, volunteers, visitors, suppliers and contractors, and provides information on rights and options for formal investigation.
In addition to responding to complaints of harassment, discrimination, and sexual misconduct (Title IX), OIE oversees the handling of issues involving the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity (AA/EEO), and Youth Activities and Programs.
Protected class harassment, discrimination, sex and gender-based misconduct (Title IX)
- Responds to all incidents of protected class harassment and discrimination including sex- and gender-based misconduct, sexual assault, sexual harassment, relationship violence, stalking, sexual exploitation and sex and gender-based discrimination.
- Provides coordinated intake and outreach support to members of the university community. This includes access to on- and off-campus resources, including confidential resources and options for investigations.
- Provides supportive measures to assist students and employees with academic or workplace needs. Among the measures available are no-contact directives, changes in class or work schedule, emergency housing, counseling, academic support, and pregnancy related accommodations.
- Oversees prevention education and training around the non-discrimination policy and sexual misconduct for the university community.
- Promotes the safety and welfare of youth who participate in activities and programs with minors entrusted to the university’s care.
- Outlines what is required of individuals interacting with youth with the goal of safeguarding the wellbeing of youth.
- Informs individuals of reporting obligations in instances of known or suspected child abuse or neglect.
Affirmative action and equal employment opportunity (AA/EEO)
- Ensures equity in all employment processes from time of hire to separation through the university’s Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) programs.
- Consults with the university community to educate on the key principles of Affirmative Action and EEO and works to strategically align internal operations with applicable regulations.
- Coordinates the collection, analysis, and reporting of key demographic and operational data to assess program impact.
Americans with Disabilities (ADA)
- Guides the university’s efforts to provide seamless access to all of its programs, the physical and digital environments.
- Focused on disability-based discrimination such as exclusion, refusal to accommodate, harassment and retaliation.
- Provides oversight for the reasonable accommodation of students, employees, visitors and other program participants.
- Provides training, information and resources on access and accommodations.
The following brochures provide information about OIE in English and other languages.
Learn about the steps Ohio State has taken to address sexual misconduct.